So, the wait is finally over. MIUI 8 Global beta is here. If you already haven’t seen its new features and enhancements, head over to this thread on MIUI forum to know everything about it or take quick look through this video :
That may take you quite some time, so let me save some time for you and say its awesome.
Before diving into instructions, take a full backup your current ROM. You’ll lose all your apps and data.
Also note that MIUI 8 is still in development and is currently in beta phase. This means, everything may or may not go smoothly for you. So,do not proceed further without taking a backup unless you’ve got nothing to lose 🙂
Here is how you can update your Mi 4i running on custom rom to MIUI 8 (
beta) easily. This was tested on Mi4i running CM13 and worked fine :
- Download the official MIUI Global beta ROM from here.(approx. 1GB)
- Since you have a custom ROM already, I’m assuming your phone’s boot loader is unlocked. If it isn’t, you must unlock it first.
- I also take for granted that you already have a custom recovery installed. If this isn’t the case, install a custom recovery (TWRP recommended). Here’s a detailed guide to do that.
- Once you have completed all of the above given steps, place the zip file downloaded in Step 1 in phone’s internal memory.
- Make sure the phone has sufficient charge(40% +) and boot into recovery.
- Wipe data (Dalvik & Cache).( Available under Advanced wipe in TWRP )
- Now, Install the zip from Internal memory.
Installation takes some time (15 mins approx). If installation is successful, you should get a message as shown below :
Now, reboot. MIUI may take a little time to initialize for the first time and then you’ll see this :
Voila! There you have it. Complete the rest of first-time setup by ticking/tapping boxes in the screens that follow. Once the setup is complete, you’re ready to rock!
Go on and explore MIUI 8! Let me know your thoughts on MIUI 8 through comments section below.
FYI : Stable release is expected in mid-August 2016.
If this was helpful, you subscribe to e-mail update or like the Facebook page to get updates on more useful tips, tricks like this instantly!